"Children are indebted to their parents for their upbringing -- if the parents did so. While some parents are so fiercely independent that they will accept no return on the obligation, it is nevertheless true that there often comes a time when it is the turn of the younger generation to care for their parents." -- L. Ron Hubbard from The Way to Happiness
How much did your parents pay to raise you? How much did they pay for your food, clothing, medical care, dental care, housing, child care and so on?
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, raising a child currently costs from $124,800 to $249,180. Up to a quarter-million dollars! For some of our parents, raising us was a major financial burden.
Some children say, "I don't like how my parents raised me. They ruined my life. I owe them nothing!" Even if true, we must remember this:
"One cannot overlook the fact that almost always, parents are acting from a very strong desire to do what they believe to be best for the child. In spite of all, one must remember that they are the only parents one has. And as such, no matter what, one should honor* them and help them." -- L. Ron Hubbard
Ten Ways to Honor and Help The People Who Raised You
1. Always remember Mother's Day, Father's Day and their birthdays.
2. Talk to them or visit them on a regular basis.
3. Be generous with them.
4. Share your successes.
5. Stop asking them to solve your problems.
6. Treat them with respect and courtesy at all times.
7. Ensure they have the healthcare insurance and long-term care arrangements they might need.
8. Get your brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces and children to honor and help them.
9. As they reach the ends of their lives, ensure they are as happy and comfortable as possible.
10. Thank them for raising you, teaching you and helping you start your adult life.
To be a huge success, you need all areas of your life to be in good shape. If you have a strained relationship with your parents, it will pull you down to a degree. If you have a wonderful relationship with your parents, it will give you a solid support base on which you can build your success.